Villey le sec
Villey le sec people also locally named the Trabecs, wish you a happy new year.

Home > The Town > History > Origin and organization of the village

VIDELIACUS

by Danièle URIOT

If we examine a map of the surroundings of Villey, we see that its territory is the result of deforestation that advances at the corner of the Haye forest between the Chaudeney and Gondreville woods to the foot of the coast which borders the left bank of the Moselle. Nothing tells us when this work was carried out, but we know that it became the domain of a certain VIDELIUS who established his domain there, VIDELIACUS.

In 602, a pious widow named Pretoria bequeathed this property to the bishop of Toul, EUDULUS, who donated it to the monks of Saint Epvre.

Subsequently, this donation was confirmed by illustrious figures: Frotaire Bishop of Toul in 836, King Charles the Bald in 873 Saint Gauzelin in 936, etc.

The small estate flourished and the monks had added part of the forest that extended into the Moselle valley, which they had transformed into meadows.
This led to a lawsuit in 1071 with the owners of the land, the people of Villa Orcada (Ochey), which they won because the judges found that they had never failed to pay the "land tax". This contract was confirmed in 1474 by the Lord of Ochey and was still in force at the beginning of the 14th century.

Over the years, VIDELIACUS, which became Villey Le Sec, came under the protection of the Duke of Lorraine. Located on the borders of his duchy and the temporal of the Bishop of Toul, we can still see in the forest a series of markers which bear on one side the cross of Loraine for the duchy and on the other side a Lys flower, symbol of the France.